Camp CHACA 2016: July 2-6th
GAD’s 2nd Annual Camp CHACA brought 52 young Nicaraguan men and 20 staff (PCVs and Nicaraguan counselors) together to learn about gender equality, violence prevention, and leadership. With a song titled “Somos Uno” (We are One) as our anthem, workshops about sharing power in relationships, goal setting, HIV/Aids and pregnancy prevention, and condom negotiations, all combined with the magic power of camp songs, games and fun, this week was the week of a lifetime.
As the boys grew throughout the week, we watched the transformation from CHavalos A CAballeros (boys to gentlemen). We can’t wait to see where their journeys take them and know that they will be a part of making Nicaragua a more equitable place.
CHACA 2016 Video
CHACA 2016 Gallery
CHACA 2016 Blog posts
- A Huge Success – overview by GAD Nicaragua
- Fear and Change – My Time as a Counselor by CJ Sanchez, Env 66
- Now What? by Kelsey Schrenk, TEFL 66
- Why We Need Nicaraguan Counterparts by Andrew Nilsen, TEFL 64
- From a Chavallo to a Caballero: How CHACA Created Agents of Change by Polly Wiltz, Health 65
- Interview with a CHACA Participant by Laura Linde, Env 66